Toolkit for Preparing a 70:20:10 Business Case
This simple 70:20:10 toolkit provides you with a checklist and a set of templates to support the development of a business case for a strategy based on 70:20:10 principles.
Each organisation will have its own business case methodology and process so this toolkit has intentionally been designed to provide generic tools that can be adapted to your own context and included with your own business case tools and processes.
This toolkit includes the following attachments:
- Checklist of 15 questions to address when building your business case
- Slide Deck containing Recommendations and Templates
There are several basic guidelines for preparing and presenting a business case.
When you’re preparing your business case:
- Prepare your business case in non-jargon language to communicate clearly to senior management
- Define all your terms thoroughly
- Bring in outside experts to help if needed
- Double and triple check your logic and numbers
When you’re presenting your business case:
- Present the case concisely – use annexes or appendices for the detail
- Numbers will come back to haunt you, so get them right!
- Always relate your data to research and benchmarks, and reference the sources
The business case structure we have used contains the following eight elements:
- Analysis of Current State
- Identification of Business Drivers
- Identification of Required Outcomes
- List of Available and Viable Options
- Results of Your Evaluation
- A Cost/Benefit Analysis
- Your Final Recommendations
- The Rationale for Your Recommendations
Using the Checklist
The checklist provides 15 questions that should be addressed before you present your business case. It is a good idea to use the checklist in your initial preparation sessions, as it will help you identify those elements you have already completed as well as those that are outstanding and require work.
The 15 checklist questions are divided across the following seven sections:
- The Case For Change
- Proposed 70:20:10 Solution
- Potential Impact
- Proposed Steps
- Financial Analysis
- Potential Risks and Mitigation
- Communication Plan
Using the Template
The template provides you with a structure for your business case and recommendations all elements in both the strategic context and operational context are addressed.
A number of free and member only resources can be accessed via the Forum’s Toolkit to assist in scoping the elements of your business case. Use the ‘Developing’ path in the Toolkit Guide and/or consider the below as a starting point:
Evolutionary versus Revolutionary Approaches to implementing 70:20:10
Why organisations adopt 70:20:10
Problems addressed by 70:20:10
The Benefits of 70:20:10
70:20:10 Framework Explained publication
L&D Capabilities – Performance Consulting
COME BACK AND SHARE! Have you developed and/or presented your business case for 70:20:10? If so, how did this toolkit and other Forum resources help you? What advice do you have for others seeking to build their business case for change? Why not share your reflections, questions and experiences with our community.
Copyright © 70:20:10 Forum 2016. We encourage you to share our freely accessibly Content, however we do not allow extraction, unauthorised use and/or duplication of this Content without express written permission from 70:20:10 Forum. See our terms and conditions