A Practical 10 Point Approach to Implementing 70:20:10
In this 40-minute webinar Charles provides an overview of the Forum's practical 10 point approach to implementing 70:20:10 as a strategic and transformational framework. There are a variety of posts within the Forum's toolkit and community reflecting what needs to be done within each of the 10 points, each tagged so they are easy to find and use.
There are ten component parts to effectively implementing the 70:20:10 framework as a strategic approach to improving organisational performance:
- Strategy Development – as with any strategy, a 70:20:10 strategy needs to be robust and implementable. It should contain a clear vision and define the steps to reach it. Your strategy will also define the core principles on which you will implement 70:20:10, the details of your governance model and other important components.
- Executive Engagement – solid support and active participation from key senior executives is essential. This will be one of the first challenges you will need to address. Without strong executive support your implementation is almost certain to fail.
- Change Management, Planning and Implementation – whether it is evolutionary or revolutionary, a change management strategy for the implementation is vital. If nothing else, 70:20:10 will create some fundamental changes across your organisation, so you need to plan how to drive them.
- Budget & Resource Realignment – resources and budgets need to be realigned to support non-formal and non-directed learning in the workplace as well as structured learning. This activity will need to be underpinned by a clear prioritisation and decision-making framework.
- Line Leader Capability – line leaders (managers) need to be engaged and enabled to play their part in embedding a culture of continuous learning. They are a critical point-of-failure for 70:20:10. If line leaders do not possess the knowledge, skills and motivation to properly support the development of their people through their work, then 70:20:10 is likely to falter and even fail. So it is critical not to underestimate the importance of ensuring they are up to the job.
- L&D Capability – a critical step is a re-evaluation of the specific roles of learning and talent professionals. 70:20:10 is a model for improving workplace and organisational capability; it is not just a new training approach. HR and Learning professionals need to understand the framework and have the capability to implement it.
- Measuring the Impact – 70:20:10 brings with it new challenges for measurement. Learning activity measures need to be extended to encompass measurement of performance outputs rather than focusing on learning inputs and outputs.
- The 70 – Implementing Experiential Learning – experiential learning support is critical for the success of 70:20:10. Practices and processes need to be developed to identify opportunities for experiential and workplace learning. Your organisation will need to develop standard operating processes to support learning from new and challenging work and from opportunities to practice in the workplace.
- The 20 – Implementing Social Learning – social learning has an increasing role to play as a catalyst for effective development. We rarely perform work alone. The 70:20:10 approach acknowledges this and incorporates learning through others – coaches, mentors, colleagues and experts – as a fundamental part of the model.
- The 10 – Implementing Structured Learning – structured learning that is directed by others has a significant role in the 70:20:10 framework. Effective and efficient structured courses and programs are especially critical to support the development of high-level concepts that are needed before people start working in a new role or organisation and to support organisational change.
Guidance and practical resources to assist you in understanding and implementing each of the ten components is provided when you licence access to the 70:20:10 Forum.
Copyright © 70:20:10 Forum 2016. We encourage you to share our freely accessibly Content, however we do not allow extraction, unauthorised use and/or duplication of this Content without express written permission from 70:20:10 Forum. See our terms and conditions