Throw Your Old Plan Away: 6 New Ways To Build Leadership Development Into Your Job - (Jack Zenger) The Forum applies the 70:20:10 lens
This Forbes article by Jack Zenger offers some excellent advice (including the 70:20:10 approach).
Zenger argues that work and development shouldn’t be seen as competing activities. Learning is the work much of the time. They support each other. If you use your work as a laboratory for learning and development you improve your work while you are getting your job done.
Zenger then suggests six ways that work and development can be brought closer together:
- Learn new information - you can do this through experience (70), exposure (20) or education (10)
- Build new relationships - the ‘20’
- Organize colleagues who share a common interest – ‘20’
- Take time to plan and review your day – the individual reflection part of ‘70’
- Create new feedback mechanisms for yourself - the individual reflection part of ‘70’
- Restructure your job – creating new experiences part of the ‘70’
He also recommends using the 70:20:10 model to underpin bringing development activities together with work.